Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Letter to the Editor

It ran in this morning's paper --

Remember Ruiz For the Good He Did

Dr. Frank Ruiz was a caring, compassionate man. He suffered from depression apparently for many years, and had sought treatment which didn't help him.

In general, doctors have a higher suicide rate than the general population. They have the same stresses as you and I, plus the responsibilities of many lives that lay in their hands. Any one of us could snap under stress.

Dr. Ruiz's end doesn't change the life he lived, the people he touched, the care he gave, or the lives he saved. In my opinion, Dr. Ruiz saved my life by making sure I got counseling after the deaths of two babies. He also told me to call 24 hours a day. He went above and beyond what I would expect of a physician. He still cared, and I'm sure that made his job harder and his own depression even darker when things went wrong.

Please, remember him for the caring, loving person he was.

No comments: