Monday, July 30, 2007

Acetate Gone Wild

Just a LITTLE like Girls Gone Wild! LOL! Today I've been playing...I finished a couple cards I like a lot, one that isn't finished yet (but the main image is), and one I don't like at all and that didn't photograph well either...so that one will have to get posted later.

First I'll show my "Like It a Latte" card. This doesn't use the typical acetate...instead it uses a page out of the mini albums I got at Michael's $1 spot. I'd had to cut out some of the pages because otherwise my "surprise" item wouldn't fit in the album and allow the album to still close. (See my blog candy post to guess what's stored in the albums!) Anyhooo...I saw all these empty pages and thought "that'd work for alcohol inks!" So that's exactly what I did with it. Then I was able to cut the white cardstock to fit inside the page and slide it in after I'd covered the front with alcohol inks. And finished it off with a brown/pink color combo and lots of faux stitching. The stamp set is from Stampin' Up.




This second picture is a portion of an unfinished card. I wanted to see what my white staz-on ink would look like with alcohol inks. I quickly learned that you need to stamp on the OPPOSITE side of the acetate that the inks are on. Otherwise the solvent based ink removes the alcohol based ink. I suppose you could rub off the ink and then base it on a white base to get the white fish...but that wasn't what I was TRYING to do! LOL! Anyways, I inked up the acetate and let it dry. Then stamped the fish on the opposite side with white staz-on ink. Then I layered it onto a darker colored cardstock (which made the white fish more distinct). I'll still need to finish the card but this is a good start!




And these last pictures don't use alcohol inks...just the acetate. I believe this is called a "suspension card" but I might be wrong. I'd seen one in a magazine YEARS ago and liked it so decided to try my own version today. Basically you cut a frame out of the card, adhere the acetate on the back side...then adhere your main image to the middle of the acetate so it looks like it's floating in mid-air all by itself. I don't remember how they finished up the rest of theirs...but I didn't like my adhesive showing...so I cut the same size cardstocks for both the middle image and the 'frame' portion and adhered those on the inside front so you can't see any adhesive. Then I added another little frame just to punch it up a bit and stamped a simple greeting.



And here it is open but laying flat on the table so you can see it's clear all around the image:



Tomorrow is/was my Mom's birthday so I'll be sharing some pages from her memorial album tomorrow. Her album is vintage...so if that interests you...make sure you stop back by!

Jane

1 comment:

TheDvineMissM said...

Wonderful cards! Experimenting is so much fun. Acetate is quickly becoming a fav of mine. I love using my stamps and paint on it. Thanks for sharing :O)