Saturday, December 15, 2007

Not stamping...but cute nonetheless!

Been so busy with the holidays that I haven't accomplished any artwork. Instead I thought I'd share some pics of what we have been doing.

Last night we decorated a gingerbread house. Last year I bought a kit and I was impressed with it. It came with a plastic tray with indents in it that helped you stand up the pieces. The icing was premade, just snip off the tip of the bag and use it. And it came with four or five kinds of candies. This year I bought a Wilton Kit. I'm so NOT impressed.

First off, you had to add water to the powdered sugar mix that was included and mix it. Then put it into a decorating bag with a tip. (It was so much easier to snip a corner last year and no dishes dirtied that are later like dried cement!) Then there was no tray so you had to put the sides together and hold it until it solidified and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then add the roof and let it sit for an hour. By the time we got to actually decorating the thing it was long after bedtime. But we did it!



I know it looks a bit sparse but they only provided two kinds of candy. And the icing was so stiff my arm was ready to fall off from squeezing the roof. So we called it good when we got it to this point! LOL.

All that mattered is that he had fun doing it (my oldest opted not to participate). Here's the youngest with his house...



Today we are putting up the tree...more pics to follow!

Jane

4 comments:

Kelly L said...

Aww, that is very cute. I have never attempted one of these, as they really looked like a lot of work, so I understand the sore arm. Great job!

Kylie said...

This is really cute, your son looks very proud!! what a great idea

Donelda said...

Well, your little guy looks like he had fun regardless of the bumps along the way!! Making a gingerbread house is one of our favorite things to do each year!! Merry Christmas

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Ohhhh, we have one of those in a box to make soon! Yours is just georgous and your little boy looks happy with it too.