So far this week I've made several cards and several 9 patch quilt blocks. So...hmmm what should I share with you today? Let's start with a card. This is one of the cards I made today.
This card went through a 'rough draft' first. Originally I cut him out with the oval nestability and added a scallop oval as a border...but then the panel seemed too big and I just didn't like the way it looked. So I scaled it back and did a basic straight cut and layer. I like it much better this way! The word (Celebrate) is from a Hero Arts set. The hat is really red but in the picture it almost looks orange.
And this is the first of my group of 9 patches. I bought 1 1/2 yards each of four fabrics. I chose the first two and cut the 1 1/2 yards in half so it wasn't as much fabric to work with. I'm not an expert at cutting and find that too much fabric makes me crazy. So I cut it into a portion I could handle. After cutting it into 3/4's of a yard I then cut each 3/4's of a yard into 5 inch strips. I sewed three strips together (floral, solid, floral) and then another three strips together (solid, floral, solid). Then I cut these strips every 5 inches so I had one five inch strip of floral solid floral (and the same with the other strip). Then I sewed these units together to make the nine patch.
The next thing I will do is actually cut the nine patch unit into quarters. Rotate the quarters and sew them back together. I'll show that when I get to it. I haven't quite decided if I want to do all the 9 patches first and then start cutting and rearranging or what. I think I might be better off doing that. And I still have a lot of nine patches to go! So it might be awhile.
I will say that I'm pretty darn happy with the results thus far. I can tell you that both my cutting and sewing have gotten consistently better. Even between the last quilt and this quilt there is a huge difference. So I'm happy!
Have a great day.