Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Watch Out!

I grew up with a Dad who was a WWII Ranger and three older brothers. I remember going out target practicing from the time I was probably 7 or 8. When I moved out on my own I got a firearm for protection. When I had kids I put the firearm away (locked up) and just didn't use it at all. So it's been at least 12 years since I've shot anything. So...today I decided it was time to take it out to the range. I had to have them go over how to load/shoot it again (it's been THAT long). They set me up and left me to practice.



When I finished the guy told me he couldn't believe it'd been 12 years since I'd shot. According to him it is a 'perishable' skill and you need to practice every so often to stay accurate. But of all the shots I fired...only a few fell outside the black circle and I got quite a few in the bullseye. Not bad for a short barreled revolver which isn't known for it's accuracy. He originally set the distance for me and I shot some at that distance (got one of the ones outside the black circle at the shorter distance) and then I moved the target further out and shot some at a longer distance and that's where I got the other few. I think there were either 3 or 4 total outside the black.

I've been wanting to do this for a few months but didn't have anyone to go to the range with and I hate going anywhere by myself for the first time. Plus I knew I was going to have to ask for help. I'm a total chicken when it comes to doing new things by myself. So I'm more proud of myself for just DOING it than the actual skill - but it's all good! :-)

Have you seen 'Yes Man' with Jim Carrey? It goes a little overboard (doesn't all of Jim Carrey's movies?) but I do like the premise. Say YES to life and all of it's opportunities.

Hopefully next week I'll get back to some crafting. Kids have been on spring break all week. Sorry!

No comments: