Monday, March 8, 2010

Schlep Bag

I spent this weekend at a quilting retreat in Sierra Vista, Arizona. It was nice and cool. Pine trees all around. A very nice change of pace. I took two projects with me to work on - a denim rag quilt and my disappearing nine patch. I got a bit of work done on both projects. I wasn't feeling overly motivated. Just wanted to slow down and enjoy the weekend. A couple of the ladies there had taken a class on making a 'schlep' bag.

According to Dictionary.com:
schlep 
–verb (used with object)
1.to carry; lug: to schlep an umbrella on a sunny day.
–verb (used without object)
2.to move slowly, awkwardly, or tediously: We schlepped from store to store all day.
–noun
3.Also, schlepper. someone or something that is tedious, slow, or awkward; drag.

The bag is reversible and is made out of a total of 8 different fabrics...4 squares of each fabric. You can make the bag any size you wanted. I used 6 1/2 inch squares on mine. But saw bags ranging from 5 inch squares (more the size of a purse) to 8 inch squares (more the size of a beach bag). There were three of us that decided to try and make the bag during the retreat and each bag came out beautiful.

Here is my bag (both sides):





So...what do you think?

2 comments:

Lori said...

I love your Schlep bag! Perfect for Schlepping with! LOL! Hugs Lori

Nikki aka Widdle Shamrock said...

Jane, I LOVE it !!!!

The weekend away sounds devine !!!